November 9, 2020 - 10 am - 12 pm EST
Hildegard Doerenkamp, a lifelong animal lover, was active in supporting alternatives to animal testing since she first saw a televised interview with toxicology Professor Gerhard Zbinden in 1982. They combined their individual assets to form the Doerenkamp-Zbinden Foundation to support the 3Rs of alternatives (Reduction, Refinement, and Replacement), and have endowed 5 university chairs in Baltimore, Germany, The Netherlands, Switzerland, and India. Ms Doerenkamp´s urn was buried at Kingsburg beach in Nova Scotia on June 9, 2011, at the same site where her dogs have been buried years ago.
On November 9th, 2020, we will honor what would have been her 100th birthday and her legacy with a webinar showcasing the five active professors’ ongoing work and announce the application process of next year’s Doerenkamp-Zbinden Award. Please join us to honor the legacy of this remarkable woman.
- Dr. Franz Gruber - President of the Doerenkamp-Zbinden Foundation
- Dr. Marcel Leist - The Doerenkamp-Zbinden Chair of in-vitro Toxicology and Biomedicine at the University of Konstanz (Germany)
- Dr. Thomas Hartung - The Doerenkamp-Zbinden Chair of Evidence-Based Toxicology at the Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore (USA)
- Dr. Bas Blaauboer -The Doerenkamp-Zbinden Chair of Alternatives to Animal Testing in Toxicological Risk Assessment at the University of Utrecht (the Netherlands)
- Dr. Pierre Cosson - The Doerenkamp-Naef-Zbinden Chair for Alternative Methods at the University of Geneva (Switzerland)
- Dr. Akbarsha Mohammad Abdulkader - The Mahatma Gandhi-Doerenkamp Center (MGDC) for Alternatives to the Use of Animals in Life Science Education & Gandhi-Gruber-Doerenkamp Chair for Life Science Education and In Vitro Toxicology at the Bharathidasan University in Tiruchirappalli (India)